Monday, November 29, 2010

Homemade Dryer Balls





HOMEMADE DRYER BALLS










Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to try to make homemade dryer balls out of some of my leftover wool. After googling dryer balls, I found many sites extolling the virtues of these balls, such as cutting down on drying time, no longer needing to use fabric softener or dryer sheets. I was sold. I found a number of sites with instructions on how to make wool dryer balls and they were almost unanimous in how to make them.
Here's how I made them:
Remember: To have the balls felt you must use 100% wool yarn (it can't be superwash) and hot water.


1. I had 102 yds of leftover wool from a project. I wound it into 4 balls approximately the size of a golf ball. Secure the end by tucking it under the wound yarn with your fingers, a needle or a crochet hook.






2. Put the balls into something that will keep them separate from each other but where they'll be secure in the wash cycle. I used a lingerie bag and tied a piece of left over acrylic yarn (string will also work) between each of the balls. I have also seen suggestions to use pantyhose and socks places to put the balls.
Put the balls in the washer on the hot water cycle. In order to not waste water and energy, I put them in with a load of laundry. The additional agitation with the clothes helps the felting process.
Once the wash cycle was done, put the bag of balls into the dryer with the laundry.


3. Once the dry cycle is done, take the balls out of the bag. They will be slightly felted. Wrap the slightly felted cores with more wool yarn. I used a leftover skein (223 yds) of gray wool

4. Secure the ends, tie the balls up separately in the lingerie bag (or whatever you are using), wash them in hot water with a load of laundry, tumble dry and you have dryer balls. I put these dryer balls through the wash/dry cycle twice but once should be plenty as they will continue to felt as you use them in your dryer cycle.




5. They are ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment