Monday, October 4, 2010

OM

I took a very long hiatus between my first post and this one. I've been trying to get my thoughts together on what I wanted to blog about. I have come up with the idea of a podcast in conjunction with this blog. The blog and podcast will focus on what I am knitting and/or crocheting, a yoga principle and what I am doing as I tackle the The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA) Master Level 1 program. I'm sure I will also include food and recipes from time to time.

I just finished crocheting Pearl's Cardigan. It is from Crochet So Fine by Kristin Omdahl. She and Interweave Press were so kind to post the pattern on the Lion Brand website and Kristin's is running a Crochet Along (CAL). Her book is very intriguing and it helps dispel the idea that all crochet is toilet paper covers and granny squares. My apologies to those who like granny squares. I know they are in fashion now, but, since I remember the last time they were in fashion, I can't quite bring myself to like them again.

I am currently knitting Kayla's Shrug

Yoga thoughts.
In yoga classes, OM is often sung or spoken/chanted. Many people are often shy about participating in this ritual. OM is a sacred syllable in Hinduism and Buddhism representing birth, life and death


It consists of 3 letters (mātrās):
A – stands for the state of wakefulness, where we experience externally through our mind and sense organs. It is represented by the lower curve
U – stands for the dream state, in which inward experiences are available. It is represented by the right side curve.
M – stands for the state of deep sleep, where there is no desire and consciousness is gathered in upon itself. It is represented by the upper curve

The fourth state which corresponds to silence. It encompasses the waking, dream and deep sleep states in continuity. It is represented by the dot and the semi-circle underneath the dot.

TKGA Masters Level 1
I have the material from TKGA and am thinking about starting. However, before I do, I am taking 2 classes at Stitches East. They are Breathtaking Buttonholes and Buttonbands with Maureen Mason-Hamieson and Mosaic Knitting: Colorful Knitting the Easy Way with Melissa Leapman. Both of these classes require swatches to be made and since the classes are on 10/31/10, I need to get those done before I start swatching for the Masters program. I am going to try to balance continuing to knit/crochet items while working on the Masters program.

No comments:

Post a Comment