Saturday, January 8, 2011

Universal Toe Up Socks made with Noro Sock Yarn


I just finished my first pair of socks this year. I used Amy Swenson's Universal Toe-up Sock pattern from Knitty: Summer 2006 to determine how many stitches I needed for my gauge and the rest was my own vanilla sock pattern.  I like to do straight-forward stockingnette socks so I can easily tote them around with  me and not worry about where I left off or have to carry a pattern.

This was my first time working with Noro yarn and in the beginning I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It feels a little rough and stiffer than what I am used to, but, it worked up very nicely. I really like the way the colors change and am overall quite happy with the end product.

Ravelry link to my page

My gauge was 6 st/in I needed 46 stitches to fit my foot my size 8 foot (9") with a circumferance of 8.5"
I used size 1 circs.

Materials: Noro Kureyon Sock - 1 skein = 462yds/100 grams (I had 43 grams left)
Size 1 circs. I used 2 circs. Gauge: 6 sts/inch

Toe:
Cast on 10 sts (5/needle) - using Judy's Magic Cast on
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: K1, Kfb, K to 1st st before end, Kfb, K
End Row 2
Rep Rows 1 and 2 until there are a total of 46 sts (23/needle)

Foot:
K until sock reaches where the leg meets the foot

Heel
Row 1
Needle 1: Knit
Needle 2: K1, Kfb, K to 1st st before end Kfb, K
Continue until 2" shorter than total length of foot. I ended up with 44 sts on Needle 2.

Turn Heel:
Do not work stitches on Needle 1 (top of foot)
Needle 2 (Heel Flap): K 46, K2tog, K1, turn
Sl 1, P5; SSP, P1, turn
Sl 1, K until one st before the gap, K2tog, K1; turn
S1, P until one st before the gap, SSP, P1, turn
Repeat purl and knit rows until there are 23 sts. (original number of sts)


Leg:
K until the leg is the desired length.

Finish:
K1, P1 rib for 1"

Bindoff
I used slipslipkit.com miraculous elastic bind off.

No comments:

Post a Comment